Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oh the places we will go.

Sitting at my desk happily working away this morning (LMAO) and I get a phone call from Tay just minutes after she should have been just on the bus to school.
~I missed my bus
*no big deal, just catch another one.
~there aren't any other ones.
*in all of the city, there are no other buses that can take you to school? Really?
~Really Mom! There aren't any! -in a panic now-
*I can't come get you and there is no one to pick you up and you have to get to school.
~ I know! But there is no way.
*you know, people take the bus all over the city every day?
~ -silence-
*go online, find your bus route and #, call to find out when the next bus is coming and if you need to transfer and then call your school to let them know you will be late.

end of conversation
---------------------------------------------------------------------
minutes later

~OK, the bus comes in a few minutes, I called the school and I am leaving now
*that's my girl, I knew you could do it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course there were a few more filler sentences spoken in there but you get the gist. In all this as well, I had to talk her Dad down from running back into town to pick her up and drive her. He was going to leave his job and drive her to school...15 to 20 drive each way. Not necessary, the time to grow up and start being responsible for one self starts now.

I get a text from the bus. She has made it on! woo hoo...Proud Mom. I send her words of praise and we text back and forth about growing up and accomplishments. She is obviously happy with herself and her new found independence (I personally have been pushing her to take the plunge into finding her way in the world of transit for a couple of years) we text back and forth a bit more then carry on with our mornings.

The phone then rings...She is at the school, late but she is there. She has forgotten her phone on the bus. Oh my girl...too funny.
~It's OK though Mom, I have already called the transit station, told them which bus I was on and they have the driver getting it and will hold it at the station until we come and get it.

She is definitely on her way.

2 comments:

  1. Small steps. It is like waking up when you discover things like this. She is going to wake up a lot in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. proud friend of a mom smile on my face right now! :) and proud friend of a teenager smile on my face too! :)

    you are an amazing mom Donna! of an amazing teenage daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier