Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Behind the Scenes at a Photo Shoot--or--My Dream Job

Recently I had the honour and privilege to help out my very good friend and favorite photographer Michel (you might have read about her once or twice here no?) ~WishfulThinking.com~
She is nearing the end of her 365 journey and heading straight on into what she does so well, capturing our lives in beautiful photographic memories for us to treasure.

Michel will be the photographer for Sarah and Adam's September 2011 wedding as well as many other weddings I am sure as her calender will quickly fill up once word gets out she is available.

In preparation for said wedding Michel was doing an engagement photo shoot to help Sarah and Adam announce their up and coming nuptials.

Having been in front of the camera at one or two of her photo shoots I knew how much Michel moved around and went out of her way to capture 'the shot'. With it being winter and the shoot scheduled to take place in busy down town Edmonton I knew she would need a helping hand, so I volunteered to be her lackey.

I had such a good time, I brought along my camera, not as a second shooter, but to try to take in a little behind the scenes action. It was a difficult at times with my arms full of jackets, scarves, drinks and purses but I did manage a few 'from the hip' shots.

Here is a little pictory of a city winter photo shoot.

First off we arrived early so Michel could walk around scouting out locations.
Then we met up with the happy couple and Michel discusses said scouted locations as well she asks what they are looking for from the day.

Then we begin outdoors. Michel talks through what she is doing at the same time allowing the couple to just relax and have fun...

They were so easy I must say.( I wasn't the photographer but I was paying attention!) They couldn't keep their lips off each other they were so cute and obviously in love...Sarah could not take a bad photo if she tried.

Scout out the location......

...add a loving couple...

...throw in a fantastic photographer, and you have magic.

Ok...too cold out side, we head in to thaw out a bit and get some cool City Center Mall shots..and by cool I mean warm. Our cameras needed a moment to warm up but man that fog on the lens looks so dreamy.

As the pro hovers around on one of the three levels of the mall taking sneaky photos of our couple du jour....

...I hang out with them below holding the extra equipment & jackets awaiting any instruction Michel may have for the couple.. I loved watching the curious passing shoppers walking by with looks of wonder on their faces.

A peek over the shoulder of the Pro in action.
...and again.

After the warmth of the mall we head back out side to find the sun shining and sparkling snowflakes falling from the sky.....we decided to utilize the free skate rental and the freshly Zamboni'd City Hall ice surface (usually a fountain/wading pool in the summer) to capture a few more romantic moments. Perfection.

Back at the vehicle the sun sets on a wonderful day of my fantasy dream job of assistant to a my favortite photographer.....hey, we can't all be the star, and every great artist has an equally great support team right?! *wink* you know who you are!
Thanks for letting me tag a long Sarah, Adam & Michel.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like tons of fun.....lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, you already know how I feel about you and this and all that.... but looking at it again. I love that my face is no where to be seen. like a masked peeper, snapping snaps under the cloak of secrecy.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier