Thursday, December 2, 2010

Going to Red Deer

This weekend Tayler and I are heading down hwy 2, or the Q.E. 2 as it has recently been dubbed. We are off to her first out of town ringette tournament of the season.

As is my normal I was excited and looking forward to going away for the weekend but now as time ticks closer and closer I am feeling the swells of anxiety filling my insides.
The typical reasons for this are things like socializing by myself, NOT my forte and a huge cause of daily stress in my life, and having to fulfill my parental duties of working my scheduled time in 'the box' during one game...I am horrible at the time clock and the shot clock and during a tournament the stress will make me worse and I know how nasty parents are when someone screws up in there.

But a new worry for me this trip is spending all whole chunk of alone time with my daughter. I know, seems odd, but we really don't get to see each other much any more and most of our communication is done through text.
She lives at her Dad's for two weeks then switches to our house, her Father's house is a little more controlled as far as her going out is concerned where at our house I try to compensate by making sure she is getting time with friends and just hanging out as kids should do (trying to avoid any awkward social issues when she is older...hhmmm?), all this while she works, has ringette and band practices. So we will be getting acquainted again my daughter and I.

Do I take this time entrapped with me in a vehicle alone for a couple of hours and talk about all of life's ups and down's and how to best deal? Do I just let her lead the way and talk about her? Do I push for more intimate conversation? Do we sit in comfortable silence projecting no pressure or expectation to be productive at every moment? Is that what normal 'together all the time' parents and kids do?

I have a feeling what will be is what will be and I all this pre-worry (probably some of the cause of my high blood pressure) will be looked back at as unnecessary.

I often wonder will they look back at me when they are older and wish I said or did more of this or didn't do so much of that as a Mom.......again with the pre-worry. I get it at different levels.

Off we go to Red Deer tomorrow, Go team Boom, let's come back as winners, and I don't mean just on the ice.

3 comments:

  1. IT'S KINDA SWEET THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH PRE-WORRY ABOUT TRYING TO BE SO PERFECT ! YOU "WILL" LOOK BACK AND SAY, "THAT WAS UNNECESSARY". U'LL C.
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO...WO ARE THE WINNERS ???
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHO THE H--- TOOK THE "H" IN "WHO"???
    :0)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier