Friday, June 4, 2010

Pecha Kucha #7


We had the pleasure of attending an event last night a group called Next Gen hosts a few time a year. Michel is a volunteer for Next Gen, she thought we would be interested in checking one out so we did, last night. This is their mission:

Mission-We are creating a city that attracts and give voice to the Next Generation in the life and growth of our community. The Committee acts as a hub for networking and learning events, fosters leadership opportunities and supports initiatives of interest to the Next Generation.
I will let their web site speak for them, I would hate to butcher the good they actually do in my attempts to describe it to you.

I took a few pictures last night while there with my little purse camera....we had a good time and were really taken with all the different styles of presenters and speakers sharing with us their own passions for our city and their communities....basically each presenter submits 20 images. These images are shown on a screen behind them for 20 seconds each, the speakers are in turn given 6 min 40 seconds to get their point out.
It is interesting watching this challenge unfold in front of us. Some people are obviously nervous where as some are pure naturals. Some trying to cram as much information as possible in their allotted time with out fail and some just needed to get out a few choice points letting the images do the talking.
I didn't take any pictures of my favorites, too busy listening, but I did get this shot.

You can't see it here but this man (the small glow) is tweeting..twitting?...anyway, it wasn't just him, it was most every one around us. We were actully encouraged to pull out our pocket sized computers to post comments on the speakers and the event as a whole as it rolled along. I was a bit taken by this having been raised in a society that was taught to stay in yours seats, do not speak giveing your full polite undivided attention to the speaker/show/presentation in front of you, to do so other wise is insanely rude and not tolerated behavior, ask any one who ever tries to stand up at a comedy club or forgets to turn off their phone....not me I tell you that!

This really is the next generation, a generation of open minded, looser thinking individuals trying to make their own way in this fast paced electronic world all the while taking with them our past stories and traditions. I think I will just sit back and watch them make a go of it, clap my hands and show my support. I am just not ready to leap into the tweetbookpodberry world around me.
Here is the drink table. This is where the crowd collected for the after party in the Citadel Theater's atriun

A local D.J. was there spinning out some tunes (Is that how the cool kids talk?)

2 comments:

  1. I call it twatting! haha... great night! thanks again for coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, boy I so agree with your last para. I will do the same as I just can't get into all this electronic stuff ,too much , too fast; plus I have no desire to get into it! Now, I do have grandkids coming up fast into it and need and want to keep ontop of what and how they will be communicating in their lives. So any help or instructions I can get will be very much welcomed :)

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier