Monday, November 22, 2010

Not Mexico & No pictures

Wow...are you still here?! LOL

We went shopping yesterday at West Edmonton Mall. We can't call it Christmas shopping since we bought a birthday gift and some discount rack clothes for our selves.

I really love going to WEM around Christmas time. The lights, the sounds, the music & the people...oh man the people. So many people. Some grumpy, some oblivious to others around, some rude, some happy, some friendly....A good mix of personalities for sure....The line ups are starting to get long and it seems the Christmas staff is in place to accommodate. The shelves are freshly stocked and not yet rummaged through where everything thing is all over the floor and usually in wrong spots. WEM is bad for that I find.

The one thing that struck me though was how flaming hot it was in every store...We left our jackets in the car even knowing we would be warm inside lugging them around, but even in just our sweaters we were cooking. Please turn down the heat in your stores when its cold out side. We dress for the cold out side so by the time we make it to the mall we don't require the heat cranked up, and with all the people.....oy! It was pretty uncomfortable.

We took the boys too....I had a 2 for 1 coupon for a WEM all day attraction pass and I told them they could go spend a few hours there but they had to come up with half of the amount for a one person ride all day pass....they were pretty happy to do this I'll tell ya what! They were counting their coins and making deals (Nathan had waaaay more money than Daniel) and really getting along about it all, these two don't always 'agree' on everything. I admit I was a little concerned leaving them alone but we created meeting spots and had cell phones hooked up and made them swear they wouldn't leave each others side....They had a blast and we had four hours of leisurely people watching and window shopping and it only cost us $16.00. Not bad I say.

WEM doesn't wow me though. I don't find it spectacular or as incredibly large as described...it is surprising to see the same store over and over again just on different levels and in different phases. It seems to be showing it's age and besides a few new rides at Galaxy Land doesn't show much in the way of upgrading like many smaller or regular size malls have been lately. It can be quite run down even when it comes to some washrooms.

Stores come and go. Big named fancy stores like Victoria Secret among others have recently moved in, maybe its just me but they seem to unimpressed and look like every thing else offered just with bigger price tags. Much bigger.

With all my wha wha wha-ing about this mall I will be going back a couple more times before Christmas...there is just something about this time of year that draws me into it.

1 comment:

  1. When I first moved to BC 20 years ago what people wanted to know most about Edmonton was WEM....it was quite the amazing place back then. Now I'm back in Edmonton I've been a few times and I agree it is looking a bit tired around the edges....but still the best place for people watching....

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier