Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The 37th year *update*

Today is my birthday!
Yay me.
I turn 37 today.

Not only is it my birthday, today also marks the 10th anniversary of coming to Edmonton.

Ten years ago today we drove through Pine Lake just before a horrific tornado tore through the camp site making us wonder just what we were getting into coming here.

So much has happened in the last 10 years. Its kind of interesting to have such a significant couple of events to mark a time line. I am usually so very forgetful when it comes to remembering dates and how old I was when something happened...what was that year again? Not with this date, too many things happened then.

My 27th birthday didn't seem that significant at the time but throw in a nasty tornado, rolling into an city unknown to us with no home yet to call our own and the whole new millennium thing to boot, that year stands out to me quite well.

In the past 10 years I had another baby to add to my little clan to make three. Surprise!

I had fallen so far down deep into a hole of sorrow and self pity I could barely see the light. I surrendered to that life in the black only to somehow instantly start turning it around finding some strength inside to push through...forced my self to trade school, asking others for help, torturing my kids with what was found to be less than adequate child care, (fyi-never put your kids in a discount day home) talking my way into a ground level job in the giant world of the industrial oil field industry.
I put away stock, swept floors, picked parts...shipped/recieved then went back to school again to get the hell out of what felt like another abusive world full of really mean people.

I found my way into an office position doing things I didn't understand. I left the fork lift for another piece of machinery I had yet to learn to drive, the computer.(but I got so good at driving the fork lift)...from here things went uphill with minor pot holes...I found me. I took the leap of faith and moved out of my home and filed for divorced, leaving sorrow and sadness behind.

I found my own place, found the generosity of others. I found self esteem and independence that I had no idea even existed in me....I found a wonderful man who I am now proud to call my husband.

My kids get to have two good homes with parents who can communicate maturely. (mostly)

I still have a really great job (although some days I wonder).

I get to travel places and buy groceries any time I want too. (something I forever wished for)

I get to laugh and play.

I am fit and healthy.

I am happy.

Today as I turn 37 I reflect back on the last 10 years and give my self a pat on the back.

17-27---full of bad decisions-(or not, seeing is how they all got me here)
27-37---time to wake up and see the light
37-47---a future full of possibilities.

I look forward to the next ten with eyes and heart wide open living for the day.
I have no expectations, no big must do's or must have's.

I am going to like being 37.

An interesting start to the day today, I was 5 minutes late for work today, and seriously Michel, I didn't freak out or anything. ( I have some anxieties about things)

When I heard one of my favorite songs come on the radio in the truck this morning it made me feel so good...Wheat Kings-The Tragically Hip....there is just something about that song. One line goes--'You can't be fond of living in the past because if you do then theres no way that your gonna last.'

Have a great day every one....no expectations.

Donna
a.k.a. The birthday girl





*update*


what a day it has been...I will be enjoying a couple of relaxing hours at the spa on Friday afternoon thanks to my Terry, I recieved some pretty pretty flowers delivered to me at work in the morning..thank you M&M, I then got the call there was yet another delivery waiting for me at reception, a large bouquet of purple baloons from Winnipeg...thank you Dad and Suz. My kids all called me from their vacation with their Dad in B.C. so awesome...i loved hearing from them.



1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see these next 10 years. to witness a blossom of self wonder and growth. you are an amazing person, a wonderful mother, an eloquent woman A friend I truly cherish and love.

    Happy birthday friend

    -------
    on another note:

    no freak out? huh. I hesitantly congratulate you, Mrs. Gamble. were you a legitimate 5 minutes late? or were you 5 minutes late for being early - therefore maintaining a 5 minute early window opposed to a 10 minute early arrival? Terry I am going to need confirmation on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center

Followers

About Me

Mom,Friend,Lover,Daydreamer,Wanna-be World Traveler,Thinker and extreme worrier